Radio KOL

Radio KOL - Radio of the Kingdom
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Big Shadow Contest
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:16 pm 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

In 1930, The Shadow made his debut, not as the mysterious crime fighter we know, but as the narrator for Detective Story Hour. He was designed to help boost flagging sales of Detective Story Magazine, but instead spawned numerous requests for tales of his own. In 1931, The Shadow got his own publication, but on the air remained a mere narrator for four more years. After a two year hiatus, The Shadow returned to the air waves with his own series, a name change (Lamont Cranston), the newly-found power to 'cloud mens' minds,' and a cohort, the lovely Margo Lane. Though there were major differences between the show and the pulps, the former later came to influence the latter, and went on to run from 1937 to 1954.

The first voice of The Shadow in his own adventures? None other than Orson Welles. Agnes Moorehead also voiced Margo Lane. A number of notable actors played The Shadow over its 18 season run, through 665 episodes. This doesn't include an Australian version that often reused American scripts.

Sadly, of those 665 episodes, only a little over a third remain. While some lost episodes have been discovered in recent years, the total number of surviving original episodes is still less than 240. Many more survive as scripts, and some have been redone by enthusiasts or remain from the Australian version. There are also a few records and other versions that have come since.

One of the most recognizable and enduring characters of the 20th Century, The Shadow lives on. I have managed to painstakingly collect, sort, and label nearly every existing episode save four or five, and some bonus features, and intend to play them, ALL of them, in chronological order. They range from the fantastic to the bizarre, from Lovecraftian horror to noir intrigue. Not a few of them, sadly, are a bit racially insensitive, a sign of different times, and while I usually try to avoid playing those, you will hear every last one during this run.

Now, what is the contest, you might ask?

Simple. I am looking for three things:

An intro.
An outro.
An intermission/advertising bump.

I may wind up rotating several of each if I get a number of good entries, but to the best in each category goes a piece of the latest radio gear. The runners' up will each receive 1 million meat and a radio button candy. And there might be smaller prizes for other entrants as well.

This contest will run for one and a half months, until the end of May. And then... The Shadow Returns!

P.S. For those who can secure me the missing episodes I seek, a special prize may be in order. They are:

Season 1
-The Red Macaw (uncertain if there actually is a copy of this one)
-The Ruby of Modoc

Season 1B
-The Mark of the Bat

Season 9
-Murder by Candlelight
-Murder for Money

Send submissions to prima.vera.angelhair@gmail.com

Profile Send private message