Radio KOL

Radio KOL - Radio of the Kingdom
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

[ 3 posts ] 
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:56 pm 
Radio-KOL DJ
Radio-KOL DJ

Recently a change was made to the way wiki URLs are formatted that invalidated all my links to wiki pages.

I don't honestly remember the specifics, but I believe it was something like going from:

http://www.radio-kol.net/wiki/index.php?Main_Page

to:

http://www.radio-kol.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

If such changes are going to happen in the future, can we please make sure we have backward compatibility so old links still function, with auto-redirect or some such?

In pseudo-related news, I'm not sure why we need the index.php business at all, and can't just have:

http://www.radio-kol.net/wiki/Main_Page

like regular ol' wikipedia.org, but I freely admit a lack of conversance with the whys and/or wherefores of wiki URL formats and what makes them tick. I presume there's a good reason, and would love to be enlightened.

AiluroDragon, #48760

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:05 am 
Radio-KOL Admin
Radio-KOL Admin

As I mentioned in the other thread, the change was not arbitrary or even our decision.

The change was made because the other choice was no wiki. As I understand it, a change to PHP itself made the "pretty URL" feature of the wiki that was previously enabled non-functional. (If anyone has any information on this, please feel free to let me know. I think at the moment, given the trouble this fix has caused, it seems everyone would be more happy if we stayed with the more stable default settings it's on now)

"Backwards compatability" wasn't really possible (unless and until an update to MediaWiki comes out, but I didnt' think we wanted to wait for that) and I can't promise that given similar choices in future, I won't again choose to fix a non-working wiki.

As to the Mod that's been installed on Wikipedia (having very short URLs), I did consider it, but it's a very involved mod that involves having control over the server that I'm not sure we have, as we just have hosting, and not a dedicated server.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:58 am 
Radio-KOL DJ
Radio-KOL DJ

Cool, thanks for the info.

AiluroDragon, #48760

[ 3 posts ]