Radio KOL

Radio KOL - Radio of the Kingdom
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC

[ 3 posts ] 
Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:26 pm 
Radio-KOL DJ
Radio-KOL DJ

So, what, you may ask, is going on with RKoL these days? And that is a very good question.

We usually post a State of the Station internally, but I figure it will be good to do things for general consumption this time around so everyone had the information directly.

We have had a lot of Administration changes in the past few months.

PVA And Jezebelle are still in charge of Hiring. They review air-checks, provide constructive feed-back when required, and ensure candidates are ready to be actually be on-air.

The candidates then go to Spacey and Nassive, our Scheduling team. These two herd the cats and do their best to ensure that the streams are staffed 24/7. They also will contact DJs who seem to be in distress and ensure that DJing responsibilities are not impinging on their more-important real life.

Casey (who is currently hiring an assistant) is our new Internet Asset Manager Director. Sys Admin functions of our various resources have been migrated to him from Cassandra, who after many years of shepherding is stepping away from the station. Casey is also avidly brainstorming ways to reinvent the station. More on that later.

Lastly, there's stanley and Jolson, the Relations team. We handle enforcement of operational procedures, inter-DJ and DJ-listener concerns & commendations, and get the fun of distributing RKoL prize gear to the DJs.

There is no longer a Station Director. Several former Admins have been/will be asked to maintain a presence in the Admin forums to provide historical context and guidance.

A while back, we switched communication platforms from AIM to Slack. This has worked very well so far. Given that the Admins are now world-wide, we changed from holding quarterly meetings in AIM to a continuous conversation in Slack. The downside is that Slack only displays an archive of the last 10k messages, and if an archive isn't run and downloaded, we can lose the conversation before it is archived in a Google doc and summarized in the DJ forums. Regrettably, this is exactly what has been happening. We've been working to recall salient points and get them documented.

You may have noticed a recent departure of a number of DJs. For the most part, this is a response to a recent reminder that we value our staff more as people than as DJs; if being a DJ is detracting from real life, becoming a chore instead of a hobby, then it's better to hang up the mic and be happy.

That sort of leads into what is going on with the broadcast servers. Quite some time ago, Coldfront made a very generous offer to provide free hosting of our broadcast servers. We have unfortunately run into a wall when it comes to Station Admins being able to control them. We're currently looking into a number of options that include: writing a front-end to access administrative function without violating Coldfront access protections; switching from Shoutcast to something that is easier to administrate; change the nature of the station completely to an a la carte model.

A number of these option will allow any station staff member to access remotely stored content and broadcast directly without needing their rig connected to the servers.

What most people fail to recognize is that even among the Admin team, Radio KoL is labor of love, and a hobby. We dedicate what time we can when we can, but real life comes first. This unfortunately means that for large portions of time, things happen very slowly. We have been working on methods to streamline the day-to-day function of the station so things stop falling through the cracks and we can spend more of our time addressing the on-going issues of keeping an internet radio station related to a text adventure with stick figures relevant in an ever-changing digital landscape. Yeah, that.

We appreciate that so many people have been willing to give so much of their time and themselves to the station both as DJs and listeners; it doesn't happen without people on both sides. Would we like to have more listeners? You bet! Do you know how to get them? Neither do we. Would we like more DJs? You bet! Do you know how to get them? Neither do we. Are we happy with the status quo? Not really. But as long as we have people still willing to produce live content and people wanting to hear it, we will keep this train running even if we have to get out and push.

If you have ideas or comments, we'd love to hear from you via our feedback form.

Respectfully yours,

stanley
RKoL Relations Director

Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:38 pm 
Radio-KOL Alumn

My name is Cindipool and I support this message.

More specifically, I particularly support the bit that reminds us that this is supposed to be a hobby, not a job. We've seen a number of people buckle under the strain recently, which is sad, but it's an important reminder for the rest of us: this isn't an obligation. We should do this because we want to, not because we feel we have to. We stress ourselves out over downtime and dead air, when the simple fact is... people can probably live without us for an hour. If you want to fill the time, do. I love to see that happen. But just because the time is there doesn't mean you have to fill it if you'd rather be doing something else.

Today I covered two and a half hours of a four hour gap, because that's all the time I had a plan for, and then I said my farewells and cut the stream.

Silence reigned.

For all of fifteen minutes, at which point another DJ decided to put something on because they wanted to.

Don't fear the dead air. Don't feel obliged to fill a gap just because it's there. A little silence won't hurt, and someone will come for it before too long, if today was any indication :P

Also, if this was presumptuous of me, I apologise. I just felt like sharing .-.

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:12 pm 
Radio-KOL DJ
Radio-KOL DJ

Hear hear!

Last bumped by stanley on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:12 pm.

[ 3 posts ]