The "official" Radio KoL IRC chat channel is located on Zirc.org. The room name is #radio-kol. It is sparsely populated, with an average of 20 people logged in and 2-6 actively speaking, but the people there are generally good folk to hang around with and fiercely protective of their channel. chatbot is always in the channel and keeps us updated with the same "currently playing" information as you see in /c radio on KoL itself.
For a quick and easy way to join the channel, use one of Zirc's web-based chat programs (the CGI-IRC program has been flaky lately, so we suggest the PJIRC.) If you are interested in an IRC-specific program with a little more customizability, that page also features a list of IRC programs to find on the web and download. The vast majority of users in #radio-kol use mIRC.
- Channel Owner/Super Operator: Fusilliban
- Super Operator: Haplo
- Operators: Any DJ with a registered nick, currently GroktheMad, NSurgnie and Cat_Killer
- Half-ops: basket, fireball, Ricket, Zalan
The code of conduct in IRC chat is pretty similar to that in KoL chat: don't be a jackass. Jackassery is completely subjective and is determined by whatever ops/hops are on at the time. If you have a problem with a half-op or an op, or with channel administration in general, bring it to Haplo or Fusilliban.
If you've used KoL chat, then IRC should be very easy to learn, since the commands used in the KoL chat are based on IRC commands.
- To join a channel: /join #channelname
- To leave a channel: /part #channelname [optional goodbye message]
- To leave entirely: /quit [optional goodbye message]
- To change your nickname: /nick [newnick]
- To register your nickname: /msg nickserv register [password] [email] - you will receive an email at the given address with a code that you must return and /msg to nickserv in order to complete the registration. Once a nickname is registered, you can password-protect that name such that other people cannot use it without the password (There are other options also available. Ask in the channel if you are interested.)
- To emote: "/me emotes passive-aggressively" - just like in KoL chat.
- To send a private message to someone: "/msg TheOtherGuy Hey, I hear you're on IRC now" - also just like in KOL chat
- Instant message
- Changeable screenname
- Client To Client Protocol, like direct connecting, but better :)
- Bots run by the server owners which provide many helpful features, particularly protection of registered nicks and channels.
If other Radio KoL IRC channels exist, please add them!