|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|showname= Pigtail Plays
|showname= Pigtail Plays
|imagenote=[http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigtailmoose Pigtail II]
|imagenote=[http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigtailmoose Pigtail II]
Revision as of 13:17, 12 April 2013
|Show Name:||Pigtail Plays|
|Prize Multi:||Radio Pigtail (1910693)|
| Sat 12:00-3:00am/Mon 4:00-6:00am US EST|
(Sat 3:30-6:30pm/Mon 7:30-9:30pm AUS CST)
What time is that for me?
Check the schedule for any changes/pick-up shows
Pigtail II (#648682) (or Pigtail as she is known to most of the Kingdom) became a Radio KoL DJ on April 8th 2009. Her first show was on April 11th 2009, and like all first shows, was not without its issues, the main one being that nobody could hear her for half of it since her mic settings weren't working! However she just kept playing more music and tried not to panic, and eventually it all worked out.
Pigtail lives in Adelaide South Australia, where she was born 37 years ago and has been all her life. She loves her home city and will fiercely and vocally defend it when the "Eastralians" from Sydney and Melbourne have a go. Pigtail earns her living by working in an office manager/financial administration role at TAFE SA, which means she is an employee of the state government. She has been at TAFE for about 15 years in a number of different jobs, which probably proves she doesn't mind it too much! She loves her current job though, and has a great group of people around her at work who make her laugh and help the days go by. In order to complement her work with some theoretical training, Pigtail is studying a Certificate III in Financial Services (Accounts Clerical) which she will finish in July 2012. She has just completed a double Diploma in Management and Government, and is also studying a Certificate III in Customer Contact/Service. After getting through all that, she intends to have a break from study in the second half of 2012!
Pigtail lives with Kakadesu (#681407), who she met in Feb 2008 when they were both part of the organising committee for AusKoL 2009. They maintained a long-distance relationship between Brisbane and Adelaide during 2008 while Kaka finished his Industrial Chemistry degree, and then he moved in with her in February 2009. They are a nauseatingly cute couple, and depending on how evil/attention-seeking they are being, generally cause people to either go "awwwww" or throw up. On February 24 2012 Kaka and Pigtail became engaged, and they will be getting married on Saturday 6 April 2013
When she's not working, studying, sleeping, or plotting her next radio show, Pigtail's interests include reading, cross-stitch, crochet, photography, cooking, theatre/musicals/opera and travel. She is always saving up and planning for her next holiday or theatrical outing. Pigtail has also been a Girl Guide leader for 13 years, having grown into a leadership role from being a Brownie and a Guide when she was younger. Her Guiding travels have taken her to many parts of Australia for camps and events, and even overseas to Singapore, London and Switzerland. She is currently on hiatus from being an 'every week' leader, but is still helping out occasionally on camps and fundraising events! Pigtail's Guide unit has about 15 girls aged from 8-13 in it, and she loves sharing her knowledge and teaching them whilst making sure they have fun. She especially loves campfires, whether they are ones for cooking on or big ones for singing songs around, because they allow her to indulge her inner pyromaniac!
Pigtail loves sport, and follows the Adelaide Crows and Norwood Redlegs Aussie Rules football teams, the Aussie and South Aussie cricketers, and also tries to keep up with the NHL ice hockey and the US Major League baseball despite it getting bugger all coverage on free to air TV in Australia.
In addition to KoL, Pigtail also plays zOMG! on Gaia and spends huge amounts of time playing with all her Facebook games (yes, Pigtail plays FarmVille....). She and Kaka play Bridge on occasion at the SA Bridge Association and also play Dungeons & Dragons and/or other roleplaying games. They love having friends over on the weekend to play Battlestar Galactica and Munchkin!
The Great MacBook Disaster of 2009
On Wed 5th August 2009, right after she'd finished her show & handed over to Urutsini, Pigtail spilled a glass of water across the keyboard of her MacBook. Panic ensued as the machine shut down, and water started pouring out of every imaginable orifice of it. After several days of it upside down on a towel to dry out, Pigtail tried to restart it and got nothing. Investigation by the Mac shop revealed a water damaged logic board, optical drive, and who knew what else. It was dead. Luckily for Pigtail though, the hard drive wasn't damaged, which meant her all-important (and foolishly not backed up!) music, photos, and documents, had survived. She was also insured, and her insurance company approved the claim for a new machine, hurrah! Pigtail took the opportunity to kick in a little of her own cash too, and upgraded to an oh-so-shiny 15" MacBook Pro, which she took possession of at the end of September.
In the meantime, after a couple of weeks, Pigtail was back on air using one of Kaka's spare PCs, which meant she had to learn frightening things such as just how to use Winamp and Shoutcast, plus a whole different set of sound settings and plugs! It was an occasionally frustrating time, but the show went on. Eventually.
Pigtail's first show on her new machine was on Sunday 1 November 2009, in what has so far proven to be a fruitful partnership!
Nuts & Bolts: How to Listen, & How to Chat!
Connecting to the Stream
If you have come straight here and missed the Radio KoL Homepage, you can listen to Pigtail's shows by clicking on one of the following links depending on how fast your internet connection is! You will also need a music player, such as iTunes, RealPlayer, or Winamp, all of which can be downloaded for free. If you are using Windows Media Player, drop the listen.pls off the end of the hyperlinks.
- 24kbps Mono stream: http://www.radio-kol.net/24/listen.pls
- 64kbps Stereo stream http://www.radio-kol.net/64/listen.pls
Chatting with Pigtail
If you are logged in to KoL during one of Pigtail's shows, you can chat to her in the /radio chat channel. She is also usually in /newbie when she's online.
If you are not logged in to KoL, or don't play the game, then you can chat to Pigtail via IRC. If you know what you're doing and have an IRC client such as mIRC, trillian, or Conversation (which Pigtail uses for her Mac), then you need to connect to irc.synirc.net and then to channel #radio-kol
If you are currently going "Huh? IRC?", then read on:
1. Open up a new window in your internet browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, whatever!)
2. Head to The Synirc webchat site
3. In the Nickname box, type your name (or an alias, if you don't want everyone in the chatroom knowing your real name!)
4. In the Channel box, type #radio-kol
5. Click on the "Login" button
6. This will then open up the room. You will see on the right hand side of your screen a list of all the people in the IRC chat (Pigtail's will be somewhere near the top). The main part of the window will be where people are talking to each other, and the song/artist/DJ/show details will also periodically be announced by chatbot
7. Type your hello in the bottom of the window, where the cursor is flashing, hit enter, and that's it!! You're here!
About the Show
Some Saturdays: Pigtail Plays Pop-sicals! or Pigtail Plays Pop-era!
On most of her shows, Pigtail plays a selection of pop music. This is not restricted to any particular decade, though it tends to be heavily dominated by 80s music, because after all, that was when pop ruled!
The last half hour of the Pop-sicals/Pop-era show is devoted to a musical or opera. On these shows Pigtail plays an instalment of the musical or opera she is currently featuring. See the section further down this page for details of the current opera or musical, together with the synopsis so far and what lies ahead!
Other Shows: Pigtail Plays (insert title here)
The rest of the shows are a little bit random. Sometimes Pigtail will feature a particular album or artist, sometimes she will choose a theme, and sometimes it will just be "Random Music", meaning anything and everything she feels like throwing into the playlist! As a general rule however she always tries to finish the show with classical music of some sort.
Pigtail welcomes requests, so long as they fit the general theme of the show and her musical preferences. Some shows, especially the opera/musical ones, she may not be playing requests if there is a particular theme or album she has preset though. She will accept and listen to anything you send her, but reserves the right to decide not to play it.
Music Pigtail Loves:
- Power Ballads
- Musicals/Theatre Songs
- Movie Soundtracks
- World Music
- Folk/Acoustic Music (those of you that may have listened to to larzdapunk - that stuff!)
- "Chillout"/Ambient/Relaxed Music
Music Pigtail is not so fond of, but will play on occasion in small doses:
- Heavy/Death Metal
- Carcass - they get their own category because Torturelini badgers Pigtail incessantly to play them :o)
- Private (blue) message Pigtail II - note that it is ii on the end not LL - (/msg Pigtail_II or /msg 648682) while she is on the air
- Send a kmail (green) message to Pigtail II (#648682) while she is on or off the air
- Ask her in the Radio KoL IRC chat, either via private message or in the open channel (see above for instructions to access the IRC chat)
- Email her at email@example.com
- Pigtail also accepts bumps and music at the above email address, but PLEASE make sure they are in .mp3 format and correctly tagged before you send them!
Pigtail's Pop Quiz - Saturday
On selected Saturdays during the Pigtail Plays Pop-era/-sicals! show, Pigtail will hold a Pop Quiz. This is how it works:
- During the show Pigtail will ask a series of questions about the music she is playing. They will probably not be too challenging, as these contests are more about fun than anything else!
- Listeners will be asked to blue message her the answer to each question (or private message for those in the IRC chat channel)
- Pigtail will announce the winner just before she plays her opera/musical set. In the event that there is a tie, she will ask Chatbot to roll a die for the winner in the /radio chat channel.
- The winner will receive a radio button candy and 250,000 meat, plus or minus anything else Pigtail chooses to throw into the prize pot!
Pigtail's prize multi is Radio Pigtail (#1910693), and she would LOVE you to send the multi stuff for contest prizes! Even if it's all those bits of crap in your inventory that are mostly worthless - Pigtail will autosell it for meat to use as prizes, or alternatively for meat to buy shiny things to use as prizes!
Pigtail II collects the following items:
- Scratch 'n' Sniff Apple Stickers
These items, and other shiny things, can be seen in Pigtail II's Display Case
Radio Pigtail is still figuring out what to collect.....
Pigtail loves opera, even though as a child she made gagging noises whenever her parents played it. As she grew older however, she developed a taste, and then a decidedly hearty appetite, for the combination of sweeping orchestral music, incomprehensible singing, and totally over the top dramatic grandeur that is the operatic genre. Pigtail also loves musicals such as Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Wicked, etc, and has decided to share both genres in serialised form with her listeners during the last part of her show each Saturday.
So far Pigtail has featured the following:
- La Traviata by Guiseppe Verdi
- Les Miserables by Alan Boublil & Claude-Michel Schonberg
- Wicked by Stephen Schwartz
- La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini
- Lucia di Lammermoor by Gaetano Donizetti - A Tribute to Dame Joan Sutherland (7 Nov 1926 - 10 Oct 2010) on Sat 16 Oct 2010
- Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini
- The Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber
Current Musical/Opera: Watch This Space!!
The Story So Far....